FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Can adults use ROBOTERRA’s Origin™ Kit and CastleRock™ to learn robotics?
Absolutely! The kit is intended for anyone interested in robotics, ages 7 and up (parental supervision is recommended for kids under 13).
2. Can multiple users share one CastleRock account?
Because project progress is saved in CastleRock, we strongly recommend each student have his/her own account.
3. Is parent supervision required when kids are using the kit?
As the Origin Kit contains metal parts and electronic components, we encourage users under age 13 to build in the presence of an adult. Parents can also enjoy building the robots with kids.
4. What kind of robot can I build with the kit?
Anything! You can build dozens of CastleRock projects, and also create your own robot! The kit is not a roadmap to a predetermined destination — it’s a tool that students use to build whatever they can imagine.
5. My child has no experience in robotics, is Origin Kit still an option for him/her?
Yes! ROBOTERRA’s Origin Kit and CastleRock software have been designed with blossoming engineers in mind. The easy-to-use materials allow new engineers to explore the kit’s infinite possibilities without growing frustrated. Beginners are more than welcome!
6. I’d prefer my son/daughter spend their free time socializing with peers instead of interacting with a robot. Is ROBOTERRA still an option?
We understand your concern, and ROBOTERRA is absolutely an option for your son or daughter. Larger, more complex robots can be built when students team up and share ideas. We encourage kids to work together to build and program innovative robots. In robotics, “WE” is greater than “ME!”
7. Are projects best worked on in pairs or groups?
Projects can indeed be completed in pairs or groups, however our robotics experience is intended to be individualized. Often when a group of kids approaches a project, each will focus on one aspect of the process, and potentially miss out on the knowledge gained from BOTH building and coding.
For example, a student may be very interested in building, but may not feel comfortable coding, and thus leaves that part of the project to another. We’ve worked hard to create a solution that takes kids through ALL phases of a project and gives them confidence to progress. Each student then share their knowledge and build something bigger together.
8. Are components organized in some way? Is there a lot of set up and organizing involved on our end?
Aside from actual project construction, there is no set up time required on your end. The kit arrives organized in 5 separate component boxes as illustrated on our website.
9. Can the kits be reused? For instance, can I use the same kit from the summer program for our Fall after school program?
Yes! Please keep in mind that each student who uses a kit will need their own CastleRock account.
10. Is the included curriculum user-friendly for both students AND teachers?
Absolutely! Our curriculum has been prepared to be easily understood by students and teachers alike. Even teachers with no experience in math and science fields can teach it! We’ve tried to create an attractive software interface with language that is easy to understand. Take a look at our curriculum structure.
11. Does ROBOTERRA provide training or professional development?
Training is currently provided in the form of a Getting Started guide and in-software tutorials. Additionally, we provide product support via our support form, and via the live chat option on our website during regular business hours.
SAFETY & WARNINGS
- Batteries are not included — Origin Kit requires six AA rechargeable or alkaline batteries.
- To avoid battery leakage, overheating, explosion, or fire, remove batteries when the product is not in use.
- Avoid impacting components (robot controller, sensors, actuators and batteries) with excessive force.
- Keep electronics away from high temperature and moist environments.
- Solder points on the robot controller, sensors or actuators can be sharp — use caution while assembling.
- To prevent short circuits, do not allow solder points on the robot controller, sensors or actuators to directly touch any metal surface or other conductive material.
- If excessive heat, smoke or fumes are emitted during operation, immediately power-off and unplug the battery pack.
- Product is not intended for use by children under age 6. Parental supervision is recommended for kids under 13.